Fwd: RE: [Asrg] Let's start again at the beginning...

2003-05-07 18:24:52

From: Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com>

On May 7, 2003 at 14:14 eric(_at_)infobro(_dot_)com (Eric D. Williams) wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 07, 2003 1:32 PM, Barry Shein [SMTP:bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com] wrote:
 > 8<...>8
 > > Did you know that a typical lifetime of a spammer's web site is under
 > > two hours? How exactly do they do that?
 >
 > Could you provide a pointer to the resource(s) where you gathered that
> information? I would like to incorporate this type of information into a list
 > of informative references.

Go to the site for the MIT spam conference last January, I think it's
spamconference.org, and see if the attorney's talk, the one who was
involved in the Verizon/Ralsky suit, is still up, he talked about
this, specifically.

I looked at the site, the only attorney I can find is Jon Praed of the Internet Law Group. A copy of his slides can be found here and the webcast can be found here (his presention is session #4):

http://www.spamconference.org/praed.pdf
http://www.spamconference.org/webcast.html

I haven't had a chance to look at the webcast since I am have a very slow connection at the moment. But interestingly enough, it seems that he participated in the March 20, 2003 ASRG meeting (see the minutes at http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/03mar/minutes/asrg.htm and his slides at http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/03mar/slides/asrg-4/). Perhaps someone (Paul?) can contact him and find out his sources. This would be essential for understanding the overall spam problem.