[Asrg] Actions and Words

2003-05-07 23:34:08
From: "Yakov Shafranovich" <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
>From: "John Fenley" <pontifier(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>
>
>Nobody had talked much about opt-in/opt-out issues on this list, but they >were a major part of the forum. solving this will be important. I humbly >re-propose choicelist as a way of managing opt-in/opt-out status...not as >an ultimate answer as it is proposed, but as a starting point to something >better.

The underlying problem here is that we haven't defined the problem properly. Also in many ways fighting spam is like fighting a war - you need to learn the weapons of your enemy. I would suggest that we analyze how spam works, why it works, before trying to come up with something to stop it. Eric's post is a start.

I have aready answered those questions to my own satisfaction, I have my own internal defenition of spam, and my solution fits a part of it perfectly. From what I heard at the forum, I feel my views are not that far away from the average consensus on the issue.

here are some of my thoughts:
*List moved to the bottom for continuity*

This is just me. These are my oppinions. I don't feel like defending them against attack, or trying to convince anyone that they are correct. I'm sure everyone differs on most of these, that's not the point.

what was my point? oh yeah...
you can define forever.
I think I've done at least enough defining to at least start thinking about possible solutions. As new thoughts and problems come, I can adapt and reshape my plans. No big deal.

If you keep trying to come to a unanimous resolution of peoples oppinions you'll never get anywhere.

John Fenley

============================
Here's that list:
1. Spam is stuff the end users don't want(more or less, barring permmision based marketing and such. this was basicaly AOL's view.)
2. spammers opperate because they can
3. most spammers are dumb, but some are verry smart(they are the ones developing advanced tools)
4. Opt-in mail MUST get to the user.
5. Opt-out must be available to the user
6. Sender authentication is needed badly
7. spam volume is increasing rapidly.
8. filters are not an end solution.
9. any solution must not impede the use of email by the general public.
10. the U.S. government is willing to throw money at the problem.(I believe sennator Schumer(Ny) threw out the figure 75 million dollars per year, and assured the ftc that money would not be an issue impeding any plan they propose) 11. I realy want to help solve the problem for 4 reasons: I dislike spam, I realy think i can make a difference(doing good, and spreading good memes makes me happy), it will help the economy of all developed nations, and it will make a good start for my 2016 campaign if I start now to help solve big problems.(is there anything wrong with thinking ahead, or Honesty?)
12. legal solutions alone won't do the job.
13. An avenue must be available for UCE to get to the user, or spammers will try more and more innovative methods to make an avenue of their own.(by creating the avenue, one can control it) 14. Dictionary attacks are a big problem, and RBLs can help, though a better solution is needed.
15. any solution must be adaptable.
16. there are no "silver bullets".
17. if there are no "silver bullets", why does a plan have to be one in order to be discussed?
18. never underestimate.
19. plans change, why does every little detail need to be planned out now?
20. a "do not spam" list would be a bad idea.
21. Challenge response has a bad rap, but it is going to happen wether people like it or not because it will stop "spam" in many peoples eyes.
22. adoption is a big barrier to implimentation of any solution.
23. social engeneering(PR) can play a big role in how well a solution is recieved.
24. the internet is in danger if a solution to "spam" is not found soon.
25. ideas should be freely traded, and continually refined.