Re: [Asrg] Washington Post: Earthlink to Deploy a Challenge-Response System for

2003-05-09 12:06:05
From: "John Fenley" <pontifier(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>

Ok, good point, but I was mostly thinking about copycats. Who knows how many
other ISP's will copy what they do, but not put as much thought into it.

A list created by the ASRG to help all prospective copycats from making the
simple mistakes could save a lot of pain for everyone.

I agree that a BCP for challenge-response spam defenses is a good idea,
for future implementors.

I see Challenge/Response as the final threshhold of Spam Blocking. If it is
done wrong on a large scale, it could sour the idea for everyone. Then when
a truly good way to impliment it comes, everyone will dismiss it as having
the same old problems.

I don't understand how anyone might hope that Challenge/Response won't
be done wrong on a large scale even with completely clear standards
track RFC.  Perhaps my point of view is colored by old scars inflicted
by large outfits.

I've not responded to you counters to my counters to your points about
Challenge/Response systems, because unless you're working on an ID,
I fear it would be a waste of effort.