Re: [Asrg] WHOIS and registrars

2003-05-10 21:01:42

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner(_at_)nic-naa(_dot_)net>

> >Also, if the ICANN rule about having correct WHOIS information would
> >actually be enforced with some kind of fines or penalties, wouldn't
> >that force the registrars to have better ID procedures on who
> >actually registers domain names thus reducing the overall number of
> >junk domains? This is part of the overall

Don't expect registrars to seek to absorb someone else's cost of business.

Even if the validity of WHOIS data should not be enforced and is impractical to do so because of additional cost, would you agree that it is still valuable to provide the registrars with the ability to be able to cancel or seize a domain because of false contact data? If the domain name is revoked quickly enough because of spamming, then the overall profit that the spammer derives is reduced since there is no where for spam receivers to click and no place for the spammer to collect money. However, I am slightly hesitant of giving the registrars such power since it can be abused.