Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-10 21:04:48

To: "Alan DeKok"  <aland(_at_)freeradius(_dot_)org>

> Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com> wrote:
> > I would suggest in general that the working group should recommend to
> > ICANN a stricter enforcement of the WHOIS rules
>

>   I support this proposal.
>
>   Does anyone have time to write a proposal for BCP, to fight spam
> by better applying existing network policy?
>
>   Alan DeKok.

I'm sure this has been done a few times... in "local" forms
there's
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-206.html
for instance.

Of course this is aimed at ISPs.

What I meant is more of a recommendation to ICANN directly. However the problem with overall "recommendations", "policies", and such and making sure that they are actually enforced, and I am not sure who much impact would a direct recommendation to ICANN, a BCP or a RFC would make. As someone pointed out, if the RFC821 recommendations are not enforced, how can we make sure that anything else is. Plus as I mentioned in a different message, we need to draw a balance as to how much is actually required from the registrars. At the minimum the registrars should be revoke or seize domains that have false contact information which does not put as much strain on them, as verifying manually every single registration would. Additionally, perhaps a registrar should be able to do the same for any domain used for spam (this can be accomplished via terms of agreement or change in the overall ICANN policy). However, this would mean giving stronger power to the registrars and as the famous quote goes "power corrupts".

I think its a bit premature to actually go ahead and make such recommendation, but we can definitely think of a proposal.

Yakob