Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-10 20:58:14

From: "Jon Kyme" <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com>

> I would suggest in general that the working group should recommend to
> ICANN a stricter enforcement of the WHOIS rules

You're probably familiar with this document:

http://www.icann.org/gnso/whois-tf/report-19feb03.htm

There's an interesting minority report at the bottom.

Actually I have never seen the original report, only portions of it. Thank you for pointing it out. Based on the conversations on the list in the last few days, especially the objections from Eric, it seems that the WHOIS data will not useful for stopping spam itself in real time. First of all as Eric Brunner and Ken Hinkley pointed out, it would be impractical and very hard for the registrars to actually enforce these rules due to cost, ability to verify the data, etc. Second, as Ken Hinkley pointed out, it would also be hard to use the data in real time due to limits on WHOIS queries, etc.

Therefore, it seems that WHOIS data is useful only for tracking down spammers not spam by ISPs and law enforcement authorities. They can use this data AS A TOOL, not as an absolutely true source of information but for real time spam blocking it is not very useful. Privacy provisions raised in this minority report if implemented will not stop LEA from accessing the data since it would still be available under subpoenas and warrants (or ICANN can allow them easy access under the privacy rules). Nevertheless, I am still standing by my recommendation for stricter enforcement of WHOIS rules but a balance must be drawn since we do not want to drive the registrars into bankruptcy or have the overall registration prices for domains to go up.

Yakov