Re: [Asrg] Assume perfect knowledge by domain registry provisioners, so what?

2003-05-10 17:04:10
Assuming that you post several million (at least) messages per
domain, and domains cost about $10, I don't think it qualifies as a
significant expense.

I wouldn't hold overly firmly to a 10^^6 messages per domain, but the principle
is correct. It is 10^^3 cents per domain, assuming we (registrars) are paid at
all. If we are of course, the payment is subject to trace.

Also, if the ICANN rule about having correct WHOIS information would
actually be enforced with some kind of fines or penalties, wouldn't
that force the registrars to have better ID procedures on who
actually registers domain names thus reducing the overall number of
junk domains? This is part of the overall

Don't expect registrars to seek to absorb someone else's cost of business.

The question is (as with any identification system), what would you
do with the information?  Would you block based on physical address?

I assume this relates to whois:43 mining abatement.

requests, but it turns out the different registrars return different

For RRP provisioned registries, this is true.

formats.  The only real solution is to purchase the entire database
and do periodic downloads (Network Solutions supposedly sells
it--although they never responded to our queries--but other
registrars do).

We are trying to get this removed from the ICANN registrar contract. I'm
happy to provide it -- in hex or binary form, on paper.

Anyway, let me repeat, this isn't the line of inquery I hoped people would
mull over, this is actually unrelated to the question posed.

Please use another subject line, e.g., "speculating about registrars", than
as a registrar, I can ignore it ;-).

Eric