Re: [Asrg] Call to Arms: Securing E-Mail, Controlling Spam, Empowering Users (fwd)

2003-05-10 16:42:05
At 11:07 PM -0400 5/9/03, Alan DeKok wrote:
"Eric Dean" <eric(_at_)purespeed(_dot_)com> wrote:
 One question that often lingers in my mind is that if mail admins can't
 properly configure their servers today per RFC821...how will they respond to
 another protocol standard?

  Badly.  That's their problem.

No, it's our problem. If it were really truly their problem, then we would have all deployed "must have a reverse lookup" filters.

If they don't implement something, and therefore they get more spam--that's fine. But if they don't implement it and therefore we don't get their email--that's a problem. Needless to say, this ties into the whole issue of incentives.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.