RE: [Asrg] Call to Arms: Securing E-Mail, Controlling Spam, Empowering Users (fwd)

2003-05-11 09:48:22

No, it's our problem.  If it were really truly their problem, then we
would have all deployed "must have a reverse lookup" filters.

If they don't implement something, and therefore they get more
spam--that's fine.  But if they don't implement it and therefore we
don't get their email--that's a problem.  Needless to say, this ties
into the whole issue of incentives.

Of the million or so spams I receive every couple of days...I find that they
come from a variety of DNS registered, unregistered, reverse-DNS'd, bogus
HELO hostname, valid hostnames...sorts.

Spammers simply try everything...and the are much more educated about SMTP
filters and guidelines than most mail admins.  Mere compliance is not a
challenge for them though it does deter some activities...which still
results in a considerable amount of spam delivered anyway.