RE: [Asrg] Article - New anti-spam proposal in the House of Representative

2003-05-23 16:21:03
From: "Bob Wyman" <bob(_at_)wyman(_dot_)us>

      And, "Yes" I do realize that anything done via US law will
simply "push the problem overseas." ...

People in many places keep saying that, but I don't understand the idea.

The current U.S. vendors of pills, potions, and loan "leads" are not
going to move to China.  They might continue to use domain name
registrars such bizcn.com and perhaps even HTTP hosts and SMTP clients
overseas, but that does not mean they they can't be prosecuted at
their U.S. homes.  The FCC was able to assess a $1.1M fine on 21st
Century, the junk faxer supposedly in Canada or Great Britian.  See
http://www.google.com/search?q=fcc+%2221st+century%22+fine

IP packets have long taken scenic routes, such as traveling more than
6000 miles by wire to go 500 yards as the sea gulls fly in Mountain
View, Calif.  People who understand computers will be able to cope
with spammers pretending to be in Brazil or Asia, and we'll be able
to convince lawyers and courts what they need to know.

You can always follow the money when following the packets is confusing.