Re: [Asrg] Choicelist

2003-05-29 09:57:48
On Wed, 28 May 2003, John Fenley wrote:

I have writen a paper outlining the functioning of a system to help stop
spam.

This is not a technical paper. It reads like an ad for a product which
seems not to exist.

"The ChoiceList system does not have a revenue model. [...] national do
not call registry.".

I would assert that a decent system doesn't need one; a decent world
would be one in which I pay you to accept my traffic, and you do what
you will with that. It certainly does not need a government body to run
it.

When you run for congress, bring your paper up - I'm sure it will be a
hit.

It supplys:
A PKI for authentication

Thank you, drive through.

sender side whitelist updating

Not a bad idea.

instant opt-out for the receiver

| spamassassin -rw

Make a button as you see fit for your mailer. But am I suddenly a
criminal if I send mail in some other way? This is a real thing - I've
built several mass emailers for direct opt-in only (yes, I'm pretty
sure of that, even though I don't work for them anymore) lists.
What exactly is going to be the syntax for the "instant opt-out"?

+ much more

Yeah? Not trying to be a troll here. Do you have a spec?

It requires:
almost nothing from users

OK, that's good. Can you explain what it requires from server operators?
Sometimes, they are the same.

www.choicelist.com/Choicelist.PDF

Looks like you're running for office, or something.

I'm really not trying to pick a fight; I just don't like these
vague do-what-I-say proposals, especially when they won't solve
the problem. Reasons why they won't fix the problem are left to the
reader.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal(_at_)jal(_dot_)org
Any attempt to brew coffee with a teapot should result in the error