Re: [Asrg] Spammer responses to SPF

2003-06-15 11:38:15
At 09:31 AM 6/15/2003 -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:

Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 05:54:55PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:
> |
> | It's not like spammers can't change their behavior, they often do, and
> | this one isn't even hard to change.

  The fact that spammers can adapt to measures used to fight them
doesn't mean we should give up the fight, as a lost cause.

> I agree; we must play good chess.  If SPF/DMP/RMX/... goes in, what do
> you think the spammers will do next?

  Exactly.

  There is no "magic bullet", or "weapon of mass destruction" which
may be used to fight spam.  The ONLY possible method we can use is to
gradually implement a series of changes to the network, and our use of
it, which will make it unproductive to send spam.  These measures
will, of course, have a cost for the non-spammers, but that cost
SHOULD be less than the cost that they are already bearing, of
fighting spam.
[..]

Agreed. The spam problem might never go away, but these changes can gradually reduce the problem.