Re: [Asrg] SPF: Objection: spammers will use <>

2003-06-19 11:16:05
At 01:22 PM 6/17/2003 +0200, Markus Stumpf wrote:

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:28:25PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
> The original DMP I-D says, in the case of a blank envelope sender,
> test using the HELO domain instead of the envelope sender domain.

Wow ... how's the weather on your planet?
Out of 7394 connections on one of our mailservers that is closed to
customer access 6789 had non matching (the hostname) HELO arguments.

Most HELO arguments are pc01 and the like.
On our MX mailservers the ration is similar, but of course the are a lot
of spammers that fake them, but I intentionally made the test on a non
MX mailserver.

So you want to force about 90% of all mailserver administrators (most of
the clueless) to change the configuration of their mailserver? Have fun.

Check the RFCs, but I believe that the domain in HELO command cannot be relied upon for checking.