[Asrg] Re: SPF: Objection 6

2003-06-16 14:29:57
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:01:57PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| ...some objections to SPF have come from people who
|
| 6) recognize that you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs;
|    but, fearing that theirs are the eggs to be broken, storm the kitchen;

This is a political problem, and will ultimately be answered by the
industry.  Damian Conway said today: "everything that brings joy also
brings pain."  The pain of a world where SMTP permits forgery,
anonymity, and spam is greater to me than the pain of a world where
SASL+SMTP+SPF require authenticated logins to home servers.  I expect
leading ISPs to act for the majority of their users, and I expect the
majority of the users to agree with me.  SPF tries to cushion the blow
to those with fragile eggs by providing the mechanism of Sender
Rewriting and by advocating SASL.