[Asrg] Re: SPF: Objections 3 and 4

2003-06-16 15:22:20
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:01:57PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| ...some objections to SPF have come from people who
|
| 3) conclude that because technical solutions have not solved spam in
|    the past, they cannot possibly solve spam in the future; this is
|    the "spam is ultimately a social / economic / legal problem" camp;
|
| 4) observe that no single solution is perfect, and fall into despair;

(3) is an objection unique to pessimists.  We technical types, being
professional practitioners of pessimism, must be especially wary.  We
have nothing to lose by trying a new approach.  Optimism in this case
is more productive than pessimism.  People who assert that technical
approaches won't work are sticking their necks out: the statement
can't be proven, only disproven.  What is the use of a newborn baby?

Let the social / economic / legal solutions proceed apace; we should
not abandon the technical track.

(4) is a problem for those who are both pessimists and perfectionists.
An 80% solution that works is better than a 100% solution that doesn't
exist.  Spam costs ISPs money; they are looking for answers today.