Re: [Asrg] Fwd: Major E-mail Delivery for FTC DNCR Launch

2003-06-26 17:52:39

Ok Vernon, you've made your point.

You are in favor of the current "recipient pays" model for bulk email
etc.

We disagree. I think bulk mailers should pay their freight.

I just would like to point out that not going along with your
"recipient-pays" scheme is hardly nonsense, as you assert.

Next time try to use facts and reasoning to back up your point of view
rather than insults. I realize sometimes it's satisfying to convince
oneself that not only do they disagree, but the other person is a fool
for not seeing it your way. Well, whatever floats your self-esteem.

To be honest, I find your point of view, that the consumer will pay
whatever it takes to receive all the bulk mail anyone can justify
sending him or her, to be in a word: Nonsense.

But we're both free to have our differing opinions nonetheless.

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*

On June 26, 2003 at 18:13 vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com (Vernon
From: Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com>

 > The no-call list specifically is used by consumers such as YOUR ISP
subscribers who PAY you. They are soliciting this information by signing
up
 > on the FTC's website.

So by your reasoning because most people pay for their telephone
service then AT&T should allow the FTC to just make millions of free
phone calls to them all over the country (or world) to deliver these
confirmations.

That's a nonsense analogy.  You're like a cell phone carrier instead
of a long distance carrier.  Like a U.S. cell phone carrier, your
paying customer is the recipient of the message.  Cell phone carriers
don't whine when their customers burn all of their minutes on phone-sex
or even on frauds routed to island nations.  Instead they raise rates
or cancel customer accounts.  If your customers are receiving too much
mail of any sort including spam for what they pay you, then you should
either raise your rates or terminate their accounts.

No matter how much you'd like a piece of AT&T's pie or a cut of the
action of any third party that sends content to your customers by
SMTP, HTTP, or any other IP protocol, you have no reasonable claim,
at least not unless you make a private deal AOL and others.  If you
don't have AOL's clout to get other big outfits to pay for your
customer's "eyes," then you have my sympathy, but only a little.