RE: [Asrg] 2 - Solving Spam By Establishing A Platform For Sender Accountability

2003-06-27 18:16:42
The idea behind this concept is to not modify current software, but provide
additional stand-alone software that provides sender accountability.   RMX
requires a modification to DNS to allow for the match between the sending IP
address and the 'reply to' server IP address.  I feel adoption of an added
piece of software is more likely to occur in a shorter period of time than
by substantially modifying existing MTA or DNS software.  That doesn't rule
out the more efficient methods, like RMX, being adopted as a long-term
solution.

Basically, the intent is for this method to be completely transparent to the
users and therefore have no impact on web-mail services.  I am familiar with
my web-mail services using Ipswitch mail server software, but there may be
other issues that you are alluding to that I may not be aware of.

I also understand that there are network utilization issues with the added
messages, but if sender accountability occurs we will see a significant drop
in overall usage by reducing SPAM.  As well, the intent is to make these
additional validation messages as small as possible.

Howard Roth
The NetTech Group, Inc.
11 Airport Blvd., Suite 200
South San Francisco, CA 94080