Re: [Asrg] 2 - Solving Spam By Establishing A Platform For Sender Accountability

2003-06-27 17:31:15
At 11:27 AM -0700 6/27/03, Howard Roth wrote:
Overview of Email Sender Validation Effort to reduce SPAM:

Efforts to validate the sender of an email message will help reduce the dissemination of unwanted email. We propose a specific methodology to address this issue by using a simple method based on a process that responds to a new message with specially coded request for validation message. This specially coded message is sent to the "reply to" address. The message initiating mail server receives this reply and responds with an acknowledgement to the

In what way is this any functionally any different than RMX or other similar server-is-authorized-to-send-mail protocols? Unlike those, this requires maintaining state and uses a heavyweight protocol. It does have the advantage of not requiring a live internet server to do verification. But it has the disadvantage of requiring millions of people to change how they send email (most especially users of web-mail services).
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.