RE: [Asrg] 2 - Solving Spam By Establishing A Platform For Sender Accountability

2003-06-27 19:03:40
At 6:09 PM -0700 6/27/03, Howard Roth wrote:
The idea behind this concept is to not modify current software, but provide
additional stand-alone software that provides sender accountability.   RMX

In what way does this not modify existing software? The MTAs have to be modified to support it, correct?

Basically, the intent is for this method to be completely transparent to the
users and therefore have no impact on web-mail services.  I am familiar with
my web-mail services using Ipswitch mail server software, but there may be
other issues that you are alluding to that I may not be aware of.

The issue is that people send mail "from" one domain while using the mail servers of another. This is done all the time for perfectly legitimate reasons. Not only is it done on an individual level, it is also done regularly in mass commercial mailings (which are sent by one company on behalf of another). Using the "reply to" to authenticate breaks all of that. Yahoo users can only send mail using Yahoo's web mail. Macromedia can't send mail from "support(_at_)macromedia(_dot_)com" using mx0's mail servers, and so on.

This can be avoided to some degree if you use the from address in the mail envelope, since that can easily be different than the headers. However then you need to deal with issues regarding bounces. In addition, no matter which header you choose to use, you need to figure out how it will work with mail relayed by a mailing list.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.