Re: [Asrg] In case anyone thought Barry was exaggerating

2003-07-01 10:48:33
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

I read over the transcripts, unfortunately my current bandwidth is way too small for the videos. Well, Dr. Hancock's stuff is definatly chilling, especially the parts about the new 802.16 wireless standard with over 30 mbps going in the radius of 30 miles. Just think of all zombies and open relays possible to be setup. A lot of the stuff he said seems to support Barry's arguments that viruses, zombies and infected computers are a major source of spam.

A lot of what everyone on that panel said supported that, especially Nick and Michael, and my comment (which should be on the transcript).

Machines that open proxy (whether by naive analogx or wormed spamware) are responsible for at _least_ 70% of all of our spam.

Some numbers off the spamtrap (numbers are: total over past 7 days, %percentage of entire spamtrap):

BOPM                      6611509  35.70
MONKEYPROXY               10091018  54.48
NTauto                    1519398   8.20
NTliar                    13481631  72.79
OBproxies                 2784368  15.03
OSproxy                    396490   2.14
OSsocks                   8478399  45.78

These are effectiveness rates on our spamtrap against various open proxy blacklists. DNSBL users will recognize several of these. NT* are ones we build ourself. "NTauto" is a combined "open relay and proxy" blacklist which doesn't generally overlap with others (it won't perform a test if the IP is blacklisted by anybody else).

"NTliar" is a very specialized blacklist detecting attacks from open proxies. And in case you're wondering about its reliability, in the three weeks since NTliar was developed, it hasn't had a _single_ false positive. Ever.

No, sorry, I cannot reveal how NTliar works without a NDA.

If you use DNSBLs, or even if you don't, there's no excuse not to use a good open proxy blacklist.