RE: [Asrg] In case anyone thought Barry was exaggerating

2003-07-03 08:33:36

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan DeKok [mailto:aland(_at_)freeradius(_dot_)org]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 10:44 AM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] In case anyone thought Barry was exaggerating

Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org> wrote:
  In late December, I got an account at clss.net that
allows end-users
to set up individual blocklist selections and whitelists.
Processing
takes place just after RCPT:, and rejections consist of the
big 550,
not the mailbombing of innocent 3rd-parties that have been
forged as
the "From:" address.

  In the past few weeks, I've started receiving a number of
such idiot bounces every day, to all of my public email addresses.

My spam count on this account has gone down from multiple spams per
day to multiple days between spams.

  Wonderful.  Does this work for AOL?  Nortel?  Hotmail?  Striker?

  Not really.  (Or, not without substantial cost.)  And what
do you do when the spam load goes up by a factor of 10, as it will?

  If such a solution could get rid of the vast majority of
spam, then we wouldn't need ASRG.  But it can't, and it won't
scale to the future.  As previous discussions on ASRG have
shown, the amount of spam can increase by a factor of 10 to
100, before it starts to dominate the network.

I did not see his message suggesting that this was a solution to the 'global
problem' of spam. I do think that this is an interesting perspective on the
differences between various spam responses. This is closely related to the
conversation around giving temporary failures to suspect messages.

Of course, in all of this there is place for the counter-argument that this
describes spammers' current behavior and that behavior can change. I do not
think this should stop us from at least gaining an understanding of it. With
all of this, we must understand the assumptions that the proposal is based
upon and consider the effect of changes in those conditions.