[Asrg] Maintaining Anonymity in an Authenticated System

2003-07-02 12:03:14
In all the discussion of authenticating individual senders rather than the servers and MTAs they're using, we've all forgotten that there are circumstances in which anonymity is a requirement. Think of corporate whistle-blowing situations, in which someone wishes to send an anonymous message to an entity like a media organization or the SEC. In a world in which all transmissions are undeniably authenticated to a sender, this becomes impossible. Anonymous transmission is indeed a feature of our current systems, not a bug. Any new system or authentication layer on top of what already exists needs to maintain that.

Philip Miller