[Asrg] 3. Requirements - Support for Anonymity (Re: [Asrg] Maintaining Anonymity in an Authenticated System)

2003-07-02 12:49:04
At 03:00 PM 7/2/2003 -0400, Philip Miller wrote:

In all the discussion of authenticating individual senders rather than the servers and MTAs they're using, we've all forgotten that there are circumstances in which anonymity is a requirement. Think of corporate whistle-blowing situations, in which someone wishes to send an anonymous message to an entity like a media organization or the SEC. In a world in which all transmissions are undeniably authenticated to a sender, this becomes impossible. Anonymous transmission is indeed a feature of our current systems, not a bug. Any new system or authentication layer on top of what already exists needs to maintain that.

One interesting observation that was made that spammer usually do not use CyberPunk anonymous remailers to send spam or any other kind of anonymous remailers. There must be a reason for that, perhaps because they see no need to do so. However, you are definitely right, anonymity is important.

One distinction that can be made perhaps, that a trusted system could be implemented for bulk email only, thus allowing anyone to send a single message anonymously once.

The question remains - can a trust system allow for anonymity?