Re: [Asrg] Forbes: Pay up

2003-07-02 18:20:37
Steve Schear <s(_dot_)schear(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> wrote:
A promising way to curb spam: Charge the sender.

  I've always been somewhat mystified by these solutions.  While they
appear to be useful, they drastically change the trust model for
network traffic.  (SMTP =~ no trust needed or used, $$ =~ trust, who?)  I
haven't seen analyses that such a change in the trust model would be
acceptable to the recipient.

  That is, would the possible centralization of the administration of
$$ (i.e. trust verification) be less problematic to the recipient than
spam?  I could see people deciding that receiving ~100 spams/week is a
reasonable trade-off for preventing a third party from having access
to your email messages, or habits.

  In addition, changing the cost/benefit trade-off for one network
behaviour will also result in changing the cost/benefit trade-offs for
other network behaviours.  If SMTP has costs, some "inventive" person
will discover a way to avoid the cost through abusing another
protocol.

  As a more general statement, I'm not sure that the current
trust/consent model on the Internet can be applied to the future,
unless we re-visit the whole gamut of assumptions, designs,
implementations, and use patterns.  But that's outside of the scope of
ASRG...

  Alan DeKok.