RE: [Asrg] 'GIEIS' - The Fourth Response

2003-07-03 12:59:36
Thankyou for your comments. My comments are in the body of the message below. This post refers to the 'GIEIS' system cueently at version 0.002. An update to version 0.003 will be carried out in the next few days. 'GIEIS' has an extensive list of systems to be added and they will appear as soon as the documentation can be written.

The 'GIEIS' system can be viewed here at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/giza.necropolis

Mark McCarron.

--__--__--

Message: 7
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>
To: "'Esa Laitinen'" <esa(_at_)laitinen(_dot_)org>, asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [Asrg] 'GIEIS' - The Fourth Response
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:50:27 -0700

I seem to remember that excessive port scanning was one of the issues that
was litigated in the new Zealand ORBS cases.

Mark's Response:

'GIEIS' would not be involved in excessive port scanning. Also, 'GIEIS' role one be one of protection not agression which no court would rule against. A further consideration, is the fact that a country can only make laws for that which falls within its territorial claim. Therefore, they cannot prosecute scans coming not coming from within their country.

I tried to read the GIEIS paper and I cannot understand what the proposal
is, what it is trying to achieve or what the prospect of a reduction in spam
as a result would be.

Mark's Response:

The document assumes a knowlege in broad networking skills. In short, the system secures email transmission by independently confirming sender and recipient. It eliminates completely the abitily to setup an email server and begin sending spam across the internet by changing how email is transmitted across the Internet. Any such attempt at sending spam from 'non-GIEIS registered' accounts would result in the destruction of all emails sent to those protected by 'GIEIS'.

'GIEIS' then has technical features to enable to limit any form of spam from 'GIEIS Compliant' accounts. 'GIEIS' would remove 98%-99& of all spam and virus' on the Internet. The rest would fade due to the difficulty of tranmission. 'GIEIS' also removes 'bot spam' from Instant messengers.

Statements that 'intellectual copyright' is reserved do not lend confidence,
I am not aware of any such concept in US or international copyright law.
Copyright protects the embodiment of an idea, never the idea itself. Even
the EU doctrine of moral right of the author does not cover this.

                Phill

Mark's Response:

I am also outlining processes and methods that puts it in a slightly different legal catagory.

Mark McCarron.