Re: [Asrg] AOL vs the Internet -- Are they opting out? (fwd)

2003-07-26 15:04:50
Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com> wrote:
And, by the way, requiring that everything be done through one's "ISP"
presumes that that is both feasible and acceptably convenient. It often
isn't.

  Why?

  Pretend I'm an idiot.  Are there any documents or practices which
you can refer to, to bolster that opinion?  I haven't yet seen any
related documents posted on ASRG, just arguments that say "it's hard,
trust me."

Mobility, multiple providers, multiple platforms, etc., cause
simplistic service models fail miserably.

  That's a bit of a tautology: "simple models don't model complex
systems", but I'm not sure what it has to do with the issue of
establishing consent, and it definitely doesn't follow from the
previous statement.

  When I roam cross-country, the ISP I connect to has no problems
authenticating my username & password before they allow me to use
their network.  This means that they can communicate with my home ISP,
to get *all* of the information about me which they deem necessary to
let me use their network.  I fail to see why they can't apply the
results of that authentication process to subsequent SMTP transactions
which I initiate.  All of the information needed to express consent,
or to enforce consent, is available to them.

  But they don't use this information, and I have yet to see an
argument as to why it's impractical for them to use this information.
That says to me that the problems they're running into are strictly
implementation-related.  This means that there is a high probability
that ASRG can come up with a method of establishing a consent
framework which can be implemented, using the existing information in
the network.

  Alan DeKok.