RE: [Asrg] Trustic anti-spam system closes down because it doesn 't work

2003-08-05 21:29:40

--On Tuesday, August 05, 2003 5:05 PM -0700 "Hallam-Baker, Phillip"
<pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:

This action is a regular occurrence, not a possibility.

There are over 400 DNSBLs that *I* know about. It would be completely
impossible for it to happen, even ONCE on the vast majority of them.
The criteria for listing on most lists are yes/no bits, such as "is
it an open relay?", "is it an open proxy?", "is it a dynamically
assigned IP address?", "is the IP space in the USA?", "is the IP
address in China?"... "does this mailing list do confirmations?".

In May, your argument for the demise of DNSBLs was that the root
servers could be attacked because someone could joe them and get them
listed on a DNSBL, now it's censorship of the political lists.
Neither have any basis in reality.

DNSBLs are a tool, and a rather effective one.  I'm not quite sure
what the paranoia is here. IMO, there is as much, if not more, danger
in "censoring" mail with contect filters - particularly the "black
box" types.  Frankly, I don't see the problem with either, as long as
the owners of the server know what they are using and why.

We're here to develop technical solutions to the spam problem. From
where I sit, it's going to take every tool we have and then some to
even approach solving the problem. Speculation, innuendo and FUD
about any tool in the arsenal are counter-productive.