RE: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs - Article

2003-08-13 17:07:51
At 04:05 PM 8/13/2003, Jason Steiner wrote:
"Yakov Shafranovich" <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
> At 12:48 PM 8/12/2003, Jason Steiner wrote:
> >"Yakov Shafranovich" <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
> Within the consent framework relying on a single source of information is not > a good thing. The best thing is using multiple sources of information and then
> letting the consent system decide what do with it.

Best from a convenience standpoint, certainly. But given limited resources
for handling mail and nearly unlimited resources for sending it (via millions of
unsecured proxies and worm-ridden machines) it's not best from a performance
standpoint.

A perfectly convenient system mailbombed to a standstill is no longer a perfectly convenient system. You have to strike a balance between convenience and efficiency.

Correct, the mail administrator would be left to decide that balance by choosing which systems to use, how the consent system is configured, etc. A consent system can use a single DNSRBL and SpamAssasin, just as well as multiple DNSRBLs. All of these decisions would be left up to the implementors and administrators. I am not suggesting that a consent system should use ALL available sources, just more then one. Two DNSRBLs or a DNSRBL combined with a filter might be better than relying on SPEWS.org or some other DNSRBL as a sole source of information. Decisions on spam should not be based on a single source alone.

Yakov