RE: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs - Article

2003-08-14 10:25:33
At 12:15 PM 8/14/2003, Jason Steiner wrote:
"Yakov Shafranovich" <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>

> I am not suggesting that a consent system should use ALL available
> sources, just more then one. Two DNSRBLs or a DNSRBL combined
> with a filter might be better than relying on SPEWS.org or some other
> DNSRBL as a sole source of information. Decisions on spam should
> not be based on a single source alone.

Why? If that single source is reliable and does a good job of implementing
the policies I choose for my mail servers (eg. "We don't want mail from
dialups here.") , what is the point of incurring the extra load of querying
more than one, especially if the second is going to be much more resource
intensive? (eg. A content filter behind a DNSBL.)

Assuming that your single source is reliable. Many "single" sources are not. I guess I would have to agree with you that using an single reliable source is good.

The bottom line in all of this would be that the final decision be left to the administrators and end-users to pick and choose the tools they want. All we have to do is to make it easier for those tools to interoperate.

Yakov