Re: [Asrg] 4d. Consent Framework - Protocols and Formats (was Re: [Asrg] SMTP level unsubscribe)

2003-08-14 10:41:38
At 06:30 AM 8/14/2003, Andrew Akehurst wrote:

> I recommend that we create an example that shows a hypothetical
> implementation and then solicit comments. We will use the comments to
> refine the example (replete with comments explaining what we've done and
> why). When the example stabilizes we can write a complete specification
> from that.
>
> This is sort of like watching where the grass wears out around a campus
> and then pouring the  sidewalks over the worn out paths.

That seems like a good way to proceed. I found some of your previous
posts on the topic. I might be tempted to haggle about the syntax of
some of the examples, but the general thing that seems to come out
of it is that we need (as a minimum):

 - definitions of tests against which to match messages

 - definitions of different policy enforcement actions which
   can be taken for incoming messages

 - a set of policy statements which map a combination of tests
   onto a policy enforcement action

Obviously there will be some scope issues with each of these areas,
although I'm not yet convinced that "scopes" are first-class
objects in their own right.

From the consent framework, section 3:

SCOPE û combination of SCOPE RULES defining how CONSENT POLICIES are shared
SCOPE RULES û rules defining how CONSENT POLICIES are shared

The question is whether SCOPE and SCOPE RULES are independent, or are they just specific examples of CONSENT RULES and POLICIES.

Yakov