Re: RE: [Asrg] 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Experimental Desi gn

2003-08-19 06:17:19
At 4:31 PM -0500 2003/08/18, Sauer, Damon wrote:

  It is not C-R.

      Sorry, my mistake.  I misunderstood.

You give me a RCPT TO: the RCPT TO: is checked against my
address database. If it is good I say OK. If it is bad I say 550 No
such
 user.

      Okay, now I'm really confused.  I thought that most mail systems
did this -- if you try to send mail to an account that doesn't exist,
they respond with an error and refuse to accept the message.  Thus,
the mail volume goes down.

      Is there something additional that has been done here?

Indeed, many systems do not. A customer on a network that I'm familiar with
called the operations team to ask them if they could fiddle with their
firewall (in fact that firewall is managed by someone else that they hired
- which I guess they'd forgotten) to block port 25 for a particular IP
range.
The demand of generating bounces to a spam run (to no doubt forged senders)
had crippled their (exchange) server. When asked why they weren't just
rejecting unknown recipients they said that Mgmt wanted to see
"wrong email addresses".  How we laughed.

And then of course there's Yahoo and many others.