Re: [Asrg] 7a: To consent, or not to consent

2003-09-02 08:24:42
Brad Knowles <brad(_dot_)knowles(_at_)skynet(_dot_)be> wrote:
      This doesn't work if people start adopting RMX-like solutions,
and I have a dozen e-mail addresses.  Or .forwards.  Or
/etc/alias-based mailing lists.  Or other reasons for attempting to
use legitimate third-party relays.

  You now have a choice:

  a) establish a framework so that every party to those email
     messages has sufficient information to verify (at some level)
     that the other parties have consented to the email being sent.
     (end user, ISP, MTA's, sender, recipient, etc.)

  b) decide that's too complicated, and avoid communicating consent.

  The first choice involves re-designing the Internet from scratch (by
some accounts), and will cost billions of dollars, and take decades to
implement.  The second choice involves keeping the status quo, in
which case we've decided to NOT fight spammers, and ASRG should
therefore be disbanded.

  I sincerely hope there are other alternatives.

  Alan DeKok.