Re: [Asrg] 6. Email Path Verification (hashcash benchmarks)

2003-09-13 21:26:32
 Got it to compile on a Classic Mac, mostly by hacking out all the
 option parsing.  The below is using CodeWarrior Pro 5, optimised
 for a PPC601 or 68020.

Compiling on my PowerBook G4 only required taking the following line and moving it outside of the #ifdef:

                #include "getopt.h"

That's on OSX. My goal was to run it under System 7.1 (the IIcx), MacOS 8.1 (the Quadra) and MacOS 8.6 (a PowerMac 8100/80 with a 400MHz G3 upgrade, the latter disabled for one of the tests). :-)

Now, I *also* happen to have a 400MHz G3 PowerBook, running OSX.

-bash-2.05b$ ./hashcash -s
speed: 378100 collision tests per second

It would appear that GCC3 makes a lot better code than CodeWarrior Pro 5, a pleasant turnabout from GCC2's (lack of) performance on PPC. The latter, incidentally, is somewhat out of date, but it's what I use for 68K code.