Re: [Asrg] 6. Email Path Verification (hashcash benchmarks)

2003-09-14 15:21:36
Brad Knowles explained:

At 11:51 AM -0400 2003/09/14, Eric S. Johansson wrote:

 after receiving a postage due notice a user can then generate postage
 in their browser courtesy a Java applet and deliver the stamp allowing
 their message to be delivered.

Hmm. Kinda like TMDA. I don't bother responding to anyone who uses TMDA-like systems.

One thing that definitely needs to be kept in consideration is the amount of additional hassle that is caused by any system we recommend.

understood and I agree. It is your right to ignore such a message and if you're willing to accept the consequences of your message not being seen, then all is wonderful. The only reason the postage due mechanism is there is for a failsafe/fallback action that allows the message sender to insure message delivery. Is not intended to be the general case mechanism for supplying postage. I have spent a fair amount of time showing the postage due mechanism to non-geeks and 80 percent get it right off the bat and the rest become comfortable after asking some questions about operation, what it does, how long it takes etc.

I have put a great deal of effort into working out mechanisms to minimize the number of postage due notices sent. the discriminator I spoke of earlier eliminates the vast majority of messages from postage due processing. I also have worked to develop heuristics for identifying mailing lists and eliminating postage due notices to people on mailing lists. The heuristics aren't perfect and not all mailing lists the fingerprints identifying themselves as a mailing list but I do the best I can with what is available.

---eric