[Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - News Article "California Bans Spam"

2003-09-24 11:52:39
The assertion that CA has "banned all unsolicited email with no loop holes" is clearly incorrect. This new statute contains at least two substantial loopholes that are sure to be exploited, plus some real technical problems.

Here is the key statutory text:
"Unsolicited commercial e-mail advertisement means a commercial e-mail advertisement sent to a recipient who meets both of the following criteria:
   (1) The recipient has not provided direct consent to receive
advertisements from the advertiser.
   (2) The recipient does not have a preexisting or current business
relationship with the advertiser"

Here are the loopholes:
1) The definition of direct consent is weak and will be difficult to audit/verify, so many questionable list building techniques will conceivably qualify: "Direct consent means that the recipient has expressly consented to receive e-mail advertisements from the advertiser, either in response to a clear and conspicuous request for the consent or at the recipient's own initiative." This does not require double opt-in, nor does it even require "positive action" by the consent giver. If I provide my email to participate in a transaction, or to obtain a service, and text indicating I will also be added to an email list is displayed in the vicinity, this tacit form of opt-in can easily be construed to constitute "direct consent."

2) The preexisting business relationship exemption presents a much bigger threat to the effectiveness of the CA statute. "Preexisting or current business relationship...means that the recipient has made an inquiry and has provided his or her e-mail address, or has made an application, purchase, or transaction, with or without consideration, regarding products or services offered by the advertiser." As written, any purchase from or inquiry to any provider that I have ever made authorizes them to email me - even if the marketer obtained my email address via e-pending or other methods and not by my own provision - as long as their message contains a functioning opt-out method.

3) There are also additional problems posed by keying the statute's restrictions to messaging to "California email addresses." The types of information required to ascertain whether an email address qualifies as a CA address are generally unavailable to most email list managers:
"California e-mail address means any of the following:
(1) An e-mail address furnished by an electronic mail service
provider that sends bills for furnishing and maintaining that e-mail
address to a mailing address in this state.
(2) An e-mail address ordinarily accessed from a computer
located in this state.
(3) An e-mail address furnished to a resident of this state."