Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - News Article "California Bans Spam"

2003-09-24 12:32:39
At 11:52 AM -0700 9/24/03, Bill Pease wrote:
This does not require double opt-in, nor does it even require "positive action" by the consent giver. If I provide my email to participate in a transaction, or to obtain a service, and text indicating I will also be added to an email list is displayed in the vicinity, this tacit form of opt-in can easily be construed to constitute "direct consent."

As much as I'd love confirmed opt-in to be a requirement, the fact is that too many subscribers just don't get it. It's not going to happen (do you require it of your customers?). This is certainly the strongest opt-in statement I've seen in legislation, and orders of magnitude ahead of the federal laws, which all specify opt-out. I don't think it's going to get any better.

As written, any purchase from or inquiry to any provider that I have ever made authorizes them to email me - even if the marketer obtained my email address via e-pending or other methods and not by my own provision - as long as their message contains a functioning opt-out method.

E-pending is an interesting issue, and I'd certainly like to see a law disallowing the sale or transfer of email addresses--but I'm not holding my breath. Do you truly think that any anti-spam law would not have a "pre-existing business relationship" clause? After all, otherwise you're saying that you can send all the mail you want to them, but they aren't allowed to reply.

restrictions to messaging to "California email addresses." The types of information required to ascertain whether an email address qualifies as a CA address are generally unavailable to most email list managers:

That's been true of every state law. After all, California can't pass a law outlawing the spamming of out-of-state addresses by out-of-state spammers. What else can they do? I haven't heard of any other state laws being shut down for this reason. Is there any reason you believe this case would be any different?

I'm seriously considering finding a lawyer interested in taking an anti-spam case on a contingency basis and moving my mail server to California. I'm bouncing 100+ messages a minute on my server. Even if we take out the lists which bounce three times and then remove the address, and the viruses, and the joe-jobs, I think I've got plenty of junk there to provide a nice income for a while.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.