Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements Document

2003-09-25 16:46:38
Jonathan Morton wrote:
You've backed off to a level of abstraction where agreement is possible--but that also means it's far enough away from the problem that people don't see its relevance.
> I have to concur with this. Even though it's reasonable to assume most list members are technical folk, that does not imply in the slightest that they have experience or even interest in "formal methods". I paid enough attention in Formal Methods lectures to pass the exam, but I wouldn't feel at all comfortable working under such a thing, let alone defining one.

Well guys, as much as we may hate doing everything formally, sometimes we have to. We are definatly open to any suggestions as to how to make this process a bit easier, but I don't think we can get away from doing this :) We need some document or model to evaluate proposals, and the requirements document is one way of doing it. If you can think of other ways, please let us know.

With regard to the Requirements and Technical Considerations documents, it could simply be that most of the non-comments are because readers don't see anything wrong with the documents as they stand.

Well the requirements document is missing definitions, especially one for "consent". There are some other strong issues, such as whether to replace SMTP.

My personal feeling is that the most valuable thing that could come out of this group is a strong statement of consent, with a particular goal of defeating the U.S. Congress', and DMA's attempt to make opt-out the standard model.

Agreed.

I will be starting a separate thread of defining consent where we can start on this.