Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements Document

2003-09-29 17:06:24
eric(_at_)infobro(_dot_)com wrote:
Kee, Yakov and List participants:

The latest draft of the Requirements may be accessed at:

<http://www.infobro.com/anon-FTP/infoSource/IRTF/ASRG/draft-irtf-asrg-requirements-xx-05.txt>

TOC: 'Rationale*:*' -> 'Rationale' or just remove Rationale from TOC in post-processing

1.3.11,12: These should be removed, since they are specific to a certain form of solution.

1.3.21: For clarity, perhaps you could say "A [MTA] is an *entity* within the [MTS] that participates ... or other MTA*s*.

1.3.22: This diagram is not inclusive of the degenerate case of a message sent between 2 users on the same end-point MTA. For example, I have certainly received spam from other Yahoo users in my Yahoo email account.

1.3.24: Why not collapse this to just MSA, and consider a local store maintained by the MUA as part of the MUA. Thus, MSA would refer only to POP3/IMAP/etc. servers. We could stand to deprecate the term 'Message Store' and become consistent in the process

1.3.26: How about "An MTA that is configured to accept and relay messages on behalf users that are not explicitly authorized to use it in this manner."

1.3.27,28: Perhaps irrelevant to the current discussion? This is not meant to be a general glossary of consent-based electronic messaging, but we could use a superset of this list for such a thing.

1.3.32: Considering the way the existing MTS works, this should be reworded to not exclude interaction with MUAs, but to emphasize the primary role as a non-endpoint (Sender/Receiver) MTA. Perhaps just stating "An MTA that is neither the Sender nor Receiver in a particular messaging transmission sequence, but participates in it."

1.3.33: "A Relay MTA which enforces a specified policy to conditionally relay messages as part of a messaging transmission sequence."

1.3.36,37: Unncessary as relevant definitions. Perhaps worth mention as current Non Consent Based Communication.

1.4: Much of this 1st paragraph should be incorporated into 1.3.22, as it is continuing the definition of the MTS. The last sentence should probably read "The MTS uses various transport, envelope, and message technologies that are standardized and well known." Bullet a: "Which component of the MTS is the platform for the proposed solution," b: "Whether the proposed solution makes no changes to existing protocols [i.e. policy enforced with existing protocol], is an extension of existing protocols, or is an entirely new protocol," c: "Whether the proposed solution uses existing technologies, or depends on new technologies."

2.3.1: "For successful adoption by the user community*,* proposals must provide support for typical and atypical messaging situations." The next phrase, "involving 2 or more parties" is superfluous. The final sentence is obtuse.

Please keep us up to date on draft revisions. Although I haven't the time to generate these documents, I can definitely comment on them.

Phil Miller