Re: 6. Proposals - Sender Verification (was Re: [Asrg] Simple wayto verify sender, track mail abusers)

2003-09-28 23:03:32
For those who do not like the entire idea of C/R, it might be useful if someone volunteers to write up an evaluation of C/R in general. Something on C/R was mentioned in the technical considerations document which can be used in conjunction with the requirements document to do an evaluation. This way we can see a point by point break down of cons and pros of C/R. William Leibzon also has a presentation relevant to this. The documents are available at:

http://www.infobro.com/anon-FTP/infoSource/IRTF/ASRG/draft-irtf-asrg-requirements-xx-05.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-02.txt
http://www.elan.net/~william/asrg-emailpathverification-presentation.pdf

There is also some BCPs that can be written up for C/R systems. Some of that work has been done in the CRI proposal and Brad Templenton also has a BCP list. These are available at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-asrg-cri-00.txt
http://www.templetons.com/brad/spam/challengeresponse.html

Eric Dean wrote:
Considering I haven't received but a comment or two, sure, I'll maintain
the draft.

With regards to body hashing or anything else, no one is preventing such
a method.  It's an option available to individual implementers of CR
systems.  I am merely proposing a method that they interoperate.

I am not proposing that CR is a solution for spam.  In fact, I have
evidence to the contrary...nevertheless, they exist and are used in many
places throughout the Internet.  IMHO it may be an interesting idea if
they automatically interoperate rather than require user interaction.