Re: [Asrg] 0. General - E-mail use case scenarios

2003-10-12 18:11:04
I agree on developing these cases, which we can use to test/evaluate any
proposed system or combination of.

<-----Original Message----->
From: Andrew Akehurst
Sent: 10/10/2003 3:06:17 AM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 0. General - E-mail use case scenarios

Hello everyone

I've been away thinking about the spam issue for a while and
have a suggestion which may help to analyse the likely impact
of anti-spam proposals upon the way e-mail is currently used.

What I suggest is to come up with a set of scenarios which
together describe all of the different ways in which e-mail
is used and can be referred to by number.

For example:

1 Sender Alice (alice(_at_)example(_dot_)com) sends a message to Bob
(bob(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)org). Alice has previously e-mailed Bob
from that address.

2 Alice has acquired a new e-mail address (alice(_at_)other(_dot_)com).
She has previously e-mailed Bob from her other address and
is known to him:

(a) Alice has not told Bob in advance of her new address: the
first he finds out is when she sends him a message from
the new address.

(b) Alice knows her new e-mail address in advance and informs
Bob of it either by e-mail from her existing address or by
some out-of-band method. Bob might then, depending on his
MUA and anti-spam software, be able to whitelist Alice's
new address or establish prior consent for future e-mail.

... etc.

These are just a few simple examples, but given a set of
standard scenarios which describe how e-mail is used, we
could easily analyse new proposals. One could simply say
"Proposal X does not allow use case 3" or "Proposal Y
requires a change to use case 5"

Having a reasonably comprehensive set of examples would
also encourage the authors of proposals to consider the
impact of their suggestions on some of the less common
ways in which e-mail is actually used.

I am working on such a document for my degree project
and would be happy to show it to the group if it would be
of any help or interest.

Thanks

Andrew