3. Requirements - Anomity (was Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General)

2003-10-25 23:04:39
[Subject changed inline with guidelines. Mod.]

Brad Knowles wrote:
At 12:08 PM -0400 2003/10/23, David Maxwell wrote:

 I believe the government in question has _far more_ leverage on the ISP
 than I do as an individual.

That's assuming that the ISP in question is local. That's not necessarily a valid assumption. Moreover, with header faking, it can be difficult to determine which IP addresses are real and which ones aren't.

Governments can't bug every single ISP in the world. They could reasonably bug every single known anonymous remailer.

                             It seems to me that this means spammers can
 use the difficulty of this mapping to hide from me, and activists can't
 use it to hide from governments.

I disagree. I think there are techniques that are used by spammers that could also help activists further hide the source of their connections.