Re: 3. Requirements - Anonimity (was Re: FW: [Asrg] 0. General)

2003-10-27 13:09:30
Going off-tangent for a second - is there anything for filter developers
that the ASRG or IRTF/IETF can do in terms of perhaps helping to develop
a common standard of some sort?

Absolutely, this is kind of where my private email to you was going...so
I'll copy part of it to the list.  The IRTF would be much more useful to
the anti-spam community if rather than trying to define how chickens
should lay eggs, if their goal was to observe how chickens did in fact
lay eggs, and document a "best practices doc" to help define standards
for other chickens that might be having difficulty with their eggs.

Translation: There are a lot of very talented individuals in the
anti-spam community (many of which are exponentially smarter than I am)
who have succeeded in filtering 99.9% of all spam (we're all hovering
around three-nines accuracy right now)...and made their research
available to the world.   If this research and input were compiled into
your requirements documentation, then you would be creating a document
that defines standards based on actual results instead of theory.  This,
IMHO, would make a significantly more useful document to benefit the
networking community.

Jonathan