[Asrg] 4 Forwarding, Consent frameworks and interest registration

2003-11-09 11:36:22
I have a number of friends who regularly send technical articles to me
from publications. These typically show up in my inbox with the title of
the article. So far so good.
Now, one publication puts its own email address as the return address,
so if I were to reply, my reply would go to the publication and not the
sender. Others send the reply with the return address of the sender.
Both of these approaches cause difficulties, but not the same
difficulty.
In the first case, it is annoying because if I wish to thank my friend,
by replying, I get to send my thanks down a rat hole at the magazine.
In the second case, because my friend's email address is not on the same
email system as the magazine, we have what looks like an open relay kind
of behavior. The message comes from interestingarticle at magazine.com,
but the response would go to jsmith at smith.com.
I might well have a consent agreement with jsmith, so as far as I am
concerned mail that comes to me from the magazine under his name would
be acceptable - even desired. General mail from the magazine
(solicitations, etc.) is not acceptable.
Have we considered in our consent framework the ability to have trusted
mail that has been sent under the auspices of one person, even though
the actual source of the content is from an entirely different source?
If this addressed somewhere else already, then apologies. The archive is
getting to be a good size!
Regards

Chris