Re: RE: [Asrg] 4 Forwarding, Consent frameworks and interest registration

2003-11-10 07:45:57
Jonathan describes the situation perfectly. Jsmith (in my example) does
exactly what Jonathan outlined. So the scenario goes that jsmith the
subscriber says please mail this to my friend Chris.

Now looking at this from all points of view. It is in the economic
interest of the magazine to make sure that I have every opportunity to
subscribe and not just freeload on jsmith's subscription. It is in
jsmith's interest to keep sending me the articles (because they give us
something to talk about when hoisting a pint)m it is in my interest
because I am learning about something or seeing a point of view that I
have never had before.
So in some sense, I think that the piece should come jointly from the
magazine and jsmith. I have a consent agreement with jsmith, and this
item should be under that agreement. Of course getting the publications
to buy off is a different issue. I think it is probably quite important
that the consent agreement not hop from jsmith to the magazine. Just
because jsmith has emailed me something under our agreement does not
give the 3rd party license in any sense to use that agreement for
anything at all. (I suspect that some of the cleverer people in this
group can come up with great counter examples.)

But you *are* asking that jsmith be allowed to give your consent to a third
party. The only easy way of doing this that I can see is to employ a
special email address only for your interaction with jsmith. jsmith can
then give this to whoever they like. I daresay other kinds of consent
tokens might be useful - but they'd require that the publisher (in this
case) knew what to do with them. That would be the publishers problem.