Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNS-Based - LMAP

2003-11-12 21:39:21
We're going to wait a long time if we're going to wait for a sharp increase
in spam. Spam is already estimated to be 12 billion+ emails/day, who's going
to notice another billion or two?

Personally, I think it might be better if we persuaded some major ISP's to
take it up. Perhaps create some sort of demo, e.g. load a laptop with
examples of popular mail servers, and demonstrate in front of admins how
easy it is to configure a mail server to use LMAP?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Atherton" <list(_at_)flowerdog(_dot_)com>
To: "ASRG" <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - DNS-Based - LMAP

A likely first step is to persuade the makers of the most commonly used
affected software to implement the necessary changes.  Once that is
accomplished, I see 2 potential ways to get the new feature put into
common
use:

1. Persuade a few major ISPs and private nets to begin using it (and to
encourage or expect others to use it).  This would require some
significant
lobbying.  "It's not what you know but who you know."
-OR-
2. Wait until some major event, such as a sharp increase in spam or
joe-jobs, to cause admins and CIOs to ask, "What do we have handy to deal
with this problem?"  Then, the presence of the new feature (such as LMAP)
in
existing or commonly available software could be proclaimed and admins
would
be inspired to use it.

-Dave