RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - US Congress to vote on federal anti-spam bill

2003-11-22 11:55:36
Funny.... This goes back to some of my first comments on this list....

IMHO laws to stop/reduce/lessen SPAM without *Accountablity* and the removal
of *forged* email headers is like trying to use a paper towel as an
umbrella.... It may for for a short time but in the end is *DOOMED*

I would urge anyone who speaks to or communicates with the legal side to get
them to see that spam is mostly a "Side effect" of an email system that
allows email headers to be fake.

Can anyone tell me what good a US law will be in stoping a SPAM sender who
is say in sweeden that sends fake headers to a mail server in korea and then
to a mail server in say russia and then to the usa?
If the email can not be traced back to the sender ..... And crosses 2 or
more international borders in the process then who do you go after? At what
cost? In which contry? Based on who's legal system?

This is one of the reasons why I originaly mentioned a model somewhat like
international mail.

Unless we have some form of UN/Global legaly sactioned body the spamers will
just keep sending us more junk but now with new disclaimers about how they
are complying with the law based on ......

To quote an old Issac Asimov book title: "Against stupidity, the gods
themselves contend in vain."
Or another way: "Against SPAM, the congressmen themselves contend in vain."