Re: RE: RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - US Congress to vote on federal anti-spam bill

2003-11-24 02:44:56

I don't know about you Danny, but most of the spam I receive
Denny -- with an 'e' please ;-)

Apologies.

You have a SPAM with email headers that point to ISP "X" IP 1.2.3.4 but
it
also has headers showing say 3 other IP's / domains with some of them
showing forged domain names in conflict with the IP's
And the from xxxx(_at_)isp(_dot_)com does not match any of the headers.
And the Opt Out line uses a closed / fake email and or web site.
And all the other crud they do....

So unless you have a *MAJOR* case how are you going after them? Where to
start?
Even if you can show damages how much manpower will be used just finding
the
real sender and not taking some granny to cort for having a hacked win98
box?

I'm sure that we're all aware of the deceptions that spammers practice.
I expect that it will be *difficult* to get successful prosecutions.

Your position (I hope I've got this right) is that laws like this are
difficult or expensive to enforce? Yes, of course. I'm not sure that it
follows that these laws won't (can't) be enforced. I expect that it will
depend on how much political pressure is put on prosecutors, law
enforcement.

It may be an interesting test of one of those things commonly asserted -
that much spam comes from a small number of US based spammers. Shut down
those operations and see what happens :-)