Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-25 23:53:33
Chris wrote:
The question is not making the change, rather justifying it. You need to
show how this system will reduce spam and by how much, in order to
justify change to the entire Internet email architecture.

Confused! how is this a "change to the entire Internet email architecture."

It is a modification or even a "grafting"

I am kind of lost here. The current infrastructure does not require "pull", your will require "pull". Even though its running on top of SMTP and POP3, nevertheless you will require all clients to do "pull" in order to get email. This looks to me as a major change.

from
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-spam-techconsider-02.txt

1.   SPAM AND CONSENT
its definition varies from
"unsolicited commercial email" to "any email the
recipient does not want".  Often there are no technical
differences between spam and "acceptable" email.

by this definition spam has no definition

so its about choice, the recipients choice because it is he who ultimately
decides what is spam for him(her)

Therefore by empowering the recipient to control from whom he receives
e-mail then in fact we obliterate it from the face of the earth.

because what is left is acceptable to the recipient.

the very first and most powerful application is the ability to deny mail
from forged sources
this is without a shadow of a doubt the source of most "objectionable"
e-mail

and this is achieved automatically the source MUST identify itself or it
won't get the call back

What about the users that force the email to be pulled, just like the users who click on links in spam today?

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / PGP Key: 0x10D051E6 / www.shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / www.solidmatrix.com
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" (Lord Acton)
-------