RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-25 19:55:29

there is no reason why it cannot be a generic e-mail replacement
Implementation is relativally simple

Deployment is not. Do you have the support of any of the major
providers of
email infrastructure?

No of course not but that does not mean that it cannot happen

this is a research group. we should research and then make recommendations

I am only adding or revisiting something I think has potential and been
overlooked for reasons unfathomable
but thats why I did my "revisited" so I could fathom the reasons.

I read the priors and can truly say not much in the way of valid reasoning
was put forward just a lot of knocking.

The mistake many people make about the IETF is believing that the way
standards get deployed is you propose something in the IETF and
the industry
then eagerly deploys it.

Of course not, but without properly researched alternatives, there is
nothing to deploy

In practice the industry takes little to no notice of IETF activities. The
only way a protocol is going to get deployed is if you have a propagation
strategy to drive deployment.

Yes I have considered this, but it is too early to go into details.
lets see if the flag will fly first

There are 3000++ RFCs and of those maybe
thirty have ever been implemented and deployed on a network wide scale.

maybe most are passed over
propriatory systems will always be such

but when it comes to interoperability RFC's are often the starting place

Its where I turn when I want to develop some interoperable software

RSS is the emergent protocol, it supports richer content
than NNTP, is
considerably simpler and has a significant user base even
though there are
practically no clients (!)

not relevant

If you want people to take notice of you you need to explain why your
proposal is better than an infrastructure that has five years of
deployment
experience at this point and is widely implemented.

NNTP I have spoken of in another message as to why it is an indicator of the
potential success of a "pull" mail system
NNTP most often operates pull on a newsgroup level not a message by message
basis

But I am sure many administrators of news server who do offer filtering do
exactly what is suggested.

from my understanding (limited), RSS is not e-mail, it has no relationship
to e-mail. and could not be easily implemented as e-mail

It may be a good replacement for NNTP but that's debateable. (blogs)

I believe that RSS is a one to many system is it not ? (like nntp)

To replace email with some sort of RSS would require a major change to the
way people do things and everyone would have to change their current
software.

The idea is a minimal impact system that gets the results or at least
reduces the problem to a manageable level

and I keep saying this but it is the central point...

It gives the choice to the recipient. before the actual e-mail is even sent.

I suggest that if you want to take this further you submit a draft and see
if you can persuade people to read it.

I need to know more before I do, if I do. thats why this thread.
apart from IM2000 and Brett Watsons thesis I cannot find much.

Chris