Re: RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Pull System (revisited)

2003-11-26 11:53:24
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 04:29:54PM +0000, Jon Kyme wrote:
'Pull' is relevant within the context of obtaining content from sources
that
you regularly receive content from, it is not a generic email replacement
protocol.

Sure, I don't really see how fiddling SMTP to allow envelope (+some
headers?) and body to be transported separately - which is what this would
boil down to - can have any real advantage. As Phillip suggests, existing
pull protocols can be very useful for certain application swhich currently
use SMTP, "mailing lists" /discussion groups for instance. This is also
done with POP, IMAP and HTTP of course.

One significant difference in a pull infrastructure is feedback.

In the current SMTP 'push' model, the sender has no indication of
whether a message was read or discarded.

In a 'pull' model, the sender knows that the message was refused,
because it was never picked up.

To me this raises some interesting questions.

1) Will a spammer stop trying to send spam to a domain that always
refuses his spam? (negative feedback)

2) Does this feedback help the spammer (i.e. reformat spam if he
suspects Bayes caught it...) (informative property of feedback)

3) How long must my server hold mail for you to pick it up? (balance of
burdens)

--
David Maxwell, david(_at_)vex(_dot_)net|david(_at_)maxwell(_dot_)net -->
Although some of you out